Haven’t gone live on Instagram before? Now is the perfect time to try it out! People are spending more time at home and on social media during the quarantine. The desire for new and interesting content to engage with is at an all time high, so why not capitalize on it?
Instagram Live is a video streaming capability that allows you to connect directly with your audience in real-time. “Going live” gives your audience the sense that you want to connect and have a conversation with them, without the polished facade that often comes with normal posts.
To start your Instagram Live, tap the camera icon in the top left corner of your Instagram newsfeed. Scroll through the options at the bottom until you get to “live” and press the record button!
TIPS BEFORE AND DURING YOUR INSTAGRAM LIVE
- Choose a time that most of your audience is online. Find this data in your audience insights.
- Promote that you are going live ahead of time! Get the word out by creating both permanent posts and Instagram Stories. Instagram will notify some of your followers when you start going live, but not all of them.
- If you create an Instagram story beforehand with a “countdown” sticker, your followers that want to tune in can tap the corner of the sticker to set a reminder and Instagram will notify them when you are about to go live!
- Answer people’s questions! People will ask questions in the comments of your Instagram Live, or may have submitted questions to your direct messages beforehand.
- Pin the topic of the video in the comments section of the Instagram Live so people that join late know what is happening. If you see a string of people tune in late, be sure to recap some of the main points you have already gone through so they will be caught up and want to keep watching.
- Make sure you have a purpose for the Instagram live! Need some inspiration? Below we’ve compiled six ideas for your next Instagram live.
1. Teach a Virtual Class: Educate your audience on what you specialize in! Offer something of value to your audience by leading a virtual class! Education helps establish your credibility as a thought leader in your industry. For example, our client Bring It Om Yoga has been hosting daily yoga and meditation classes on Instagram Live!
2. Make an Announcement: If you have something new to announce, do it on Instagram Live! Your viewers will be excited and feel honored that you decided to tell them first before posting anywhere else. Did you just launch a new product that you want followers to go buy? Are you offering a new service, or opening a new location? Instagram Live is the best way to add extra hype around your announcement. This could also be a great opportunity to offer those who view your Instagram Live a special discount code or limited time offer as a thank you for tuning in.
3. Host a Q & A: Preparation is key! Post an Instagram story before your Instagram Live with a “question” sticker and encourage your followers to send in questions. Save all of the questions people send in and have them in front of you during your Instagram Live! Start out by answering these questions, then answer any subsequent questions people might ask in the comments section of the Instagram Live. This gives your Instagram Live viewers time to think of their on-the-spot questions while giving you something to do while the questions come in!
4. Invite a guest: After you go live, you can invite a guest to join your Instagram Live! This option is great for having a conversation that your audience can tune in to and even ask questions. Our CEO Alyssa Fagien went live on her @atl_bucketlist channel with @eatingthroughatlanta last week to host a virtual happy hour and talk about all things local to Atlanta. Celebrities like Miley Cyrus have even gone on Instagram Live this month to have conversations with other celebrities like Elton John, Jimmy Fallon and Selena Gomez.
5. Go behind-the-scenes: Give a behind-the-scenes tour of your home office, kitchen or production facility. You could also show an inside look into how your products are made! People are interested in learning the “who” and “why” behind your business, so this is the perfect opportunity to share more about your story. For example, Joanna Gaines gave a live tour of her Magnolia cooking show set on her personal Instagram account last week!
6. Entertain: Do you play a musical instrument or sing? Now is your time to shine. Use Instagram Live to host a virtual concert! Music has a positive effect on mood, so what better way to lift people’s spirits during this time than giving an intimate performance to your audience for free!? Artists like Niall Horan and John Legend have gone on Instagram Live recently to play music for their fans.
TIPS AFTER YOUR INSTAGRAM LIVE
- Share a recap of your Instagram Live afterwards on your stories or in a post.
- Save your Instagram Live after it is done broadcasting. We recommend that you upload the saved video to your Instagram TV, and then re-share this Instagram TV as a post on your feed. This gives users who couldn’t watch it live the option to watch it at a later time. Doing this also gives you the opportunity to get higher engagement! Users can repost this Instagram TV post to their own Instagram stories or share with friends.
Need ideas for other ways you can connect with your audience during COVID-19? Check out this blog post. Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and look out for more social media tips and tricks in the future.